Many of you may recall a comparison of Steam and Origin we did a while back. Well, we have to amend that comparison. It appears Origin has just offered something to customers that you can't get from Steam or any other digital distribution system for that matter. It's called a Return Policy!
You can now return a game, with limitations, to Origin for a refund. This means if you buy a digital game from Origin.com or the Origin software platform and you don't like the game, you can send it back like a physical copy to a brick and mortar store. This is simply unheard of in the world of PC digital downloads.
The return policy is called the Great Game Guarantee by EA and is only available for Electronic Arts Inc. titles and their affiliates. It does not apply to any third-party content available on Origin. You have either 7 days after the date or purchase (or release for pre-orders) to return the game for a refund, or 24 hours from the first time the game is launched. A return will end access to any additional bundled material including other games, access to the game on MAC OS X, DLC, etc. Sales and special offers will state if the return policy does or does not apply.
Below you will find full details about the Great Game Guarantee and how it works. I believe EA will be exercising their right to change the policy at any time sooner rather than later as there is nothing stopping gamers from buying a title, completing the game, and then returning it within 24 hours. This is positioned to be either a great victory for EA or a change to all digital download services.
[hide-this-part morelink="Full Return Policy"]
Full game digital downloads (PC/Mac) published by “Electronic Arts” (collectively Electronic Arts Inc. if you reside in the United States, Canada or Japan and EA Swiss Sarl if you reside in any other country) and purchased on the Origin Store (Origin.com and purchases within the Origin gaming application) may be eligible for a refund if we receive your request within the earlier of: (i) seven (7) days from the date of purchase, (ii) seven (7) days from the game’s release date if you pre-ordered/pre-purchased or (iii) twenty-four (24) hours after the first time the game is launched or run. For full game digital downloads that are part of a bundle, the twenty-four (24) hour time period begins as soon as one game within the bundle is launched. Once a refund is issued, you will no longer have access to the game. To request a refund, visit your Order History and select the “Request a Refund” link next to any eligible product. Complete and submit the Refund Request Form. You will get a response within forty-eight (48) hours after your request is submitted and your refund within seven (7) to ten (10) days if you meet the Great Game Guarantee refund requirements.
● If you request a refund for a product that is part of a bundle or a product that comes with bonus content, your refund under this policy may include the entire bundle of products/content, and your access to all included products/content will be revoked. Please note that dual platform products (such as one product that, when purchased, is playable on both PC and Mac platforms) will be treated as bundled content. Before you submit your refund request for bundled products/content, you will be able to see an itemized list of content that must be canceled/refunded together. You may then complete the refund request and cancel all the associated content or you may withdraw your request.
● In rare instances, refunds may not be supported for products purchased during special Origin promotions. The promotional details will explicitly state if refunds are unsupported.
● Refunds may not be supported where Electronic Arts detects fraud or abuse of the refund process.
● Electronic Arts reserves the right to revise the Great Game Guarantee Policy at any time in its sole discretion. Any revisions to the Policy will be effective immediately for all subsequent purchases.
Return and Refund Policy for Third-party Games, Packaged Goods and Game Expansions/DLC/Add-Ons
● Purchases from the Origin Store for third-party games, packaged goods, game expansions, downloadable content, time cards, virtual currency and add-ons are not subject to the Great Game Guarantee. Please see the Terms of Sale and the Returns and Cancellations FAQ for further information regarding any potential returns and/or refunds for these items.
Returns and Refunds for Full Game Downloads Purchased from a Third-party Retail Store
● If you would like to return and/or request a refund for a full game download published by Electronic Arts but purchased from a third-party retail store, contact the retailer where you made the purchase to inquire about the retailer’s return or refund policies.
About Your Refund Under the Great Game Guarantee Refund Policy
● When we have received and processed your request for a refund, Electronic Arts will request the appropriate refund to the payment method used for the original order. All refunds are subject to the Terms of Sale and the Returns and Cancellations policy. View completed refunds by visiting My Cases. If your refund doesn't appear on My Cases and the processing time for your payment method has passed, contact Origin Help.
● Please note that nonrefundable payment methods such as Boleto and SOFORT are not eligible for the Great Game Guarantee. We will inform you if your payment method is nonrefundable during checkout.
Other Refund Rights and Remedies
● The Great Game Guarantee is in addition to any rights you have regarding returns or refunds. Please see the Returns and Cancellations FAQ and the Terms of Sale for further information regarding your refund rights and remedies.