Synology is known for its network attached storage (NAS) solutions so it might be a bit of a surprise to hear that they have launched their first router: the RT1900ac. A winner of the CES 2016 Innovation Awards Honoree (computer accessories category) and Computex 2015 Gold award, it is a highly anticipated device and different from their normal offerings.
You may of heard of the DiskStation Manager or DSM for Synology's NAS product line. Well, it looks like the the RT1900ac comes with the Synology Router Manager or SRM, an intuitive operating system that has a user-friendly interface but offers easy access to even the more advanced router settings one might configure.
Some of the features of the Synology Router Manager (SRM) are:
- Easy to Use Desktop-like Interface - Great for beginners to manage their entire network settings
- Free Updates - Who doesn't like to update their devices and for free? This means more security enhancements and updates throughout the products life
- Add-on Packages - Similar to the DSM, you can download free packages and add additional functionality to your RT1900ac such as VPN server, RADIUS authentication and more
- Convenient Access - You can access SRM by going to router.synology.com and registering your device with a QuickConnect ID. Similar to the way you can easily access your Synology NAS devices world wide
- DS router - An iOS and Android app that allows your to easily manage the RT1900ac from the palm of your hand. You can even view router traffic in real time!
The Synology RT1900ac supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz operation at the same time and is equipped with 3 adjustable long-range antennas using the latest in 802.11ac technology. The Synology Router RT1900ac offers professional level networking tools for a home or small-office user and without breaking the bank. The MRSP at the time of this posting is $149.99 USD. Check the gallery and press release below for more information.
[hide-this-part morelink="Full Press Release"]
Synology Launches Award-Winning Router in United States
Bellevue, WA – February 16, 2016 – Today, Synology Inc. – a manufacturer of network attached storage (NAS) – launched its first router, the RT1900ac, in the U.S. market. The highly anticipated device has already earned several awards and recognitions globally, including a CES 2016 Innovation Awards Honoree (computer accessories category) and a Computex 2015 Gold Award.
Revolutionary Software Experience
The Synology Router Manger (SRM) is the intuitive operating system that powers the RT1900ac. With a user-friendly interface, SRM makes managing your network and Wi-Fi settings simple, while delivering robust tools for users and professionals.
- Easy to Use –Desktop-like interface makes it easy for beginners to manage their entire network settings.
- Free Updates – Regular software updates means a more secure product with new features to enjoy.
- Add-on Packages – Users can download free packages and transform the RT1900ac into a VPN server, RADIUS authentication server, DNS server, media server and 24/7 download hub for their homes and offices.
- Convenient Access – Access SRM by aiming your browser at “router.synology.com” during installation, or use a customizable QuickConnect ID, DDNS address to access SRM anywhere in the world. http://bit.ly/1O7hsrx
- DS router – Available on Android or iOS devices, conveniently manage your Synology router settings from the palm of your hand. Review real time traffic monitoring and wireless network management.
"The Router is a critical element for any modern network, and yet it often remains complicated to use. By leveraging our expertise in network attached storage and maximizing the user experience, Synology provides a pleasant, efficient, advanced solution for enthusiasts and professional users," said Derren Lu, chief executive officer of Synology Inc.
Advanced networking tools
The SRM Network Center application allows users to limit bandwidth consumption, block malicious content, setup parental controls, and fine-tune how data travels through your home or office network.
- Traffic Monitor – Provides intuitive and detailed graphic view on network resource allocation.
- Beamforming – User-controlled beamforming focuses wireless signals towards supported devices to: reduce latency, economize power consumption and improve the wireless range.
- Application Layer QoS – Allows users to control internet availability by device and networking applications.
- Parental Controls – Easily set up access times for each device and create built-in DNS based web filter.
Never worry about speed bottlenecks even when multiple devices are connected to the network. The RT1900ac is equipped with three adjustable long-range antennas and uses the latest 802.11ac wireless technology which broadcasts both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals for combined data transfer speeds of up to 1900mbps. The Synology Router RT1900ac boasts professional level networking tools, at a consumer-friendly price for homes and offices. Suggested retail price: $149.99.
About Synology Inc.
Founded in 2000, Synology creates network attached storage (NAS) and private cloud solutions that transform the way people share, manage, and backup data – at home and work. The company has an extensive line of NAS: from 1-bay desktop units (DiskStations) – to rackmounts (RackStations) that scale up to 1.4PB. The products are ideal for consumers, small- and medium-sized business (SMB), and small- and medium-sized enterprise (SME). All of Synology’s private cloud solutions come with the intuitive DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system.
Synology NAS are an exceptional value with free add-on packages for file sharing, syncing, backup, multimedia streaming, photo management, VPN setup, and more. The storage devices also include built-in encryption, antivirus protection, warranties, free software upgrades, and online support. Products are feature rich, easy-to-use, energy efficient, reliable, and affordable. For more information visit: www.synology.com